Splunk SOAR (f.k.a. Phantom)

Using current container info in a custom function

s2233
Explorer

Hi,

Within a Custom Function, is it possible to grab information from the current container? For example, I've added this line to a function:

from_address = str(phantom.collect2(container=container, datapath=["artifact:*.cef.fromEmail"], limit=1)[0][0])

Ideally the value of the variable would just be a string of an email address. But I get an error that the variable "container" hasn't been defined.

However, when I test this line in the "custom code" section of a function block within a playbook, it works fine. 

Any thoughts on how I can achieve this? Thanks!

Labels (1)

sam_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Howdy!

You'll need to pass in container as a parameter to your function. Here is an example of what I believe you are trying to do:

sam_splunk_0-1607361221206.png

Notice I have a parameter to the custom function called 'container'. I pass that in like this:

sam_splunk_1-1607361268959.png

With the container available in the CF, you can use collect2 as expected. Interestingly, notice line 17 on the first screenshot. We have to do "container=container[0]" because the Container parameter of collect2 expects a dict but the data comes in as a list, so we have to extract the dict from the list's first element.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...