Splunk Enterprise

props.conf no newline breaking for jsons inserted via Splunk API (not UF), unclear in documentation

wfskmoney
Path Finder

I use props.conf setting for Azure json data that I push directly into Splunk via python REST API call (not via UF).

It correctly separates events by my custom line breaker. However it still breaks jsons after \r or\n which I do not want.

The documentation mentions, line breaking settings are only honored by Forwarders. However, the setting honored LINE_BREAKER, but not the MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER settings

The props.conf is in an /app (not in system...)

My data is nested json events, but in the values can be several \n or \r.

[azurejson3]
CHARSET = UTF-8
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
KV_MODE = json
LINE_BREAKER_LOOKBEHIND = 5000
LINE_BREAKER = (\<linebreaker\>)+
TRUNCATE = 0
MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER = [\r\n]+
MUST_NOT_BREAK_BEFORE = [\r\n]+
MAX_EVENTS = 60000

How can the breaking be prevented?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The best way to test props is to have sample events in json file and upload Splunk test machine using Add data feature, while doing that you could apply props and test on fly.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...