Splunk Enterprise

WinNetMon stanza not working when trying to get network monitoring data into my environment.

wbolten
Path Finder

Hi, 

For some reason, I am failing to get any network monitoring data into my environment. I can successfully retrieve perfmon, script data, REST, and HEC. But as soon as I create a stanza with [WinNetMon://bla] nothing happens. 

This is the stanza I am now using. I am actually looking for a different process but this process is always present.

[WinNetMon://lsass]
disabled=0
addressFamily=ipv4
direction=inbound;outbound
interval=60
protocol=udp;tcp
index=uf_process
process=lsass
packetType=accept;connect;LostPacket

I even tried the minimum.

[WinNetMon://lsass]
disabled=0
index=uf_process

The app is deployed with the Windows Deployment server and it lands on the client just nicely. 

On the client, I pulled the following from the splunkd.log. 

09-22-2020 13:57:29.780 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk-netmon.exe"" splunk-netmon - NetmonStartDriver - StartService failure for splknetdrv! Error = -2144206839
09-22-2020 13:57:29.780 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk-netmon.exe"" splunk-netmon - NetmonAppDoMonitoring: Failed to open monitor device: 0x80320009
09-22-2020 13:57:29.780 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from ""C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk-netmon.exe"" splunk-netmon - NetmonAppDoMonitoring: Error 0x80320009 occurred during execution

This shows up after the restart of the UF on the client. I can't seem to find the solution to this one? 

I tried to change the service the UF is running under from LOCAL SYSTEM ACCOUNT to a named account with local admin rights but it did not make any difference. It almost looks like the Windows client is missing something. This morning I removed the universal forwarder and installed the latest version. Still nothing. 

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...