Splunk Enterprise

Why does my scheduled saved search randomly decide to return no results?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hello!

I noticed that one of my scheduled saved searches randomly refuses to return results.  I can run the search at any point from the search bar and get data, even immediately after the scheduled saved search returns 0.  Here are the results of when it was scheduled at 2 and 5 minute intervals:

andrewtrobec_1-1593504439156.png

Randomly it will conclude with 0 results after a second with no errors.

Why would it do this?  How can I ensure that the results are produced consistently each time?

Thanks!

Andrew

Labels (1)
0 Karma

anilchaithu
Builder

@andrewtrobec 

Did you check search.log for any errors?

0 Karma

andrewtrobec
Motivator

@anilchaithu 

Thanks for the reply.  The search.log logs do not contain any errors, but when I compare them for an execution that contains results (successful) vs. an execution that does not contain results (failed), I see the following differences:

• successful execution sets user context before the following line, the failed execution sets it afterwards:

07-01-2020 06:00:07.397 INFO SearchParser - PARSING: | streamnoop

• successful execution has the following line more than 150 times, the failed execution has it twice:

07-01-2020 05:50:04.890 INFO SearchEvaluator - using old evaluator

• successful execution has the following line as the final line in the log, the failed execution does not:

07-01-2020 05:51:43.061 INFO PipelineComponent - Process delayed by 97.988 seconds, perhaps system was suspended?

Other than that they're pretty much the same.

Regards,

Andrew

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...