Splunk Enterprise

Why are we not allowed to connect Splunkbase to update the apps?

glpadilla_sol
Path Finder

Hello everyone, 

My client wants to have access from the monitor console and HF to update certain apps and so on.

Each time they try to do a connection they get the message:  Application close by the peer

02-13-2022 01:00:01.238 -0500 ERROR ApplicationUpdater [2040833 ApplicationUpdateThread] - Error checking for update, URL=https://apps.splunk.com/api/apps:resolve/checkforupgrade: Connection closed by peer

If I ran a curl from the server I got connection established:

glpadilla_sol_0-1645041589461.png

So it's not a firewall issue.

Do I have to configure something at the splunk side? 

Splunk Enterprise: 8.2.2 - over x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thank you for your help.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

glpadilla_sol
Path Finder

I found the answer for this issue.

Splunk Splunkbase is not supported when Splunk is behind a proxy, even though the Proxy has the permissions set.

Kind Regards,

View solution in original post

glpadilla_sol
Path Finder

I found the answer for this issue.

Splunk Splunkbase is not supported when Splunk is behind a proxy, even though the Proxy has the permissions set.

Kind Regards,

m_pham
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Looks to be a known issue on Splunk v8.2.2 and I believe you can ignore it or apply the workaround provided below. Do you see any errors when you go to the manage apps configuration page? It usually tells you which TA/app has newer versions on Splunkbase.

2013-05-25SPL-68010The error thrown when your Splunk instance cannot connect to splunkbase/.../checkforupdate is not an ERROR, should be lowered to INFO.

Workaround:
Set server.conf [applicationsManager] allowInternetAccess = false

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.4/ReleaseNotes/KnownIssues

0 Karma

glpadilla_sol
Path Finder

Hello m_pham, 

Thank you so much for your answer. 

But I don't get the point, the client wants to connect and I think with the parameter you are telling  Splunk do not allow connections:

server.conf

[applicationsManager]

allowInternetAccess = false

The client wants to be able to see this: 

glpadilla_sol_1-1645481267549.png

But they are getting this error:

glpadilla_sol_0-1645481194391.png

Thank you again.

Let me know if there is something that I am missing.

Kind Regards

0 Karma

m_pham
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Do you see any additional error logs in the Splunk logs? Are you able to search firewall logs to see if anything is getting blocked? 

It seems to be some kind of connection issues from the looks of it. I'd get some help from the network team if they have one to pin down the issue. If you want to know what URLs are being queried in the "Browse for more apps" page, check the link below.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.2/Admin/Serverconf#Remote_applications_configuratio...

Check if there are any blocked messages for the dest IPs below:

nslookup apps.splunk.com                                                   
Server:		<test>
Address:	<test>#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	apps.splunk.com
Address: 52.35.142.155
Address: 54.202.124.249
Address: 52.43.137.128

0 Karma

glpadilla_sol
Path Finder

Thank you @m_pham 

Look what I found:

-  When I run a this command from CLI curl https://splunkbase.splunk.com/api/v1/app/

I get the JSON that link displays:

glpadilla_sol_0-1645496161802.png

That means we are able to reach the splunk API for updates from the server itself. 

But from some reason from the Splunk UI we cannot reach the API.

Is there any probability that the certificate is causing the issue? 

Because the only difference from Splunk UI and the direct CLI command is that I use the curl without certificate. I saw this message:

02-21-2022 21:22:56.473 -0500 WARN HttpListener [2917174 webui] - Socket error from X.X.X.X:32502 while idling: error:14094416:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert certificate unknown

Thank you again.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...