Splunk Enterprise

Universal Forwarder Local Clock

santosh_sshanbh
Path Finder

I have more than 100 UF deployed and wan to know the date and time of each of the forwarders to be shown in real time basis on a dashboards. How I can read the clock data of a UF on a real time basis?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Best practice is that all of your forwarders uses a synchronised time source, in many cases thats likely NTP or the Windows Time Service.

The problem with your question, is how would you trust what a UF thinks its time is vs what it really is.

You would be relying on the UF knowing two times - the real time, and its local time.
You could write a simple scripted input to query a known good time source like an ntp server, and write its result alongside your UF's local time into a logfile and configure your inputs.conf to collect both times so you could compare any drift (but you can expect a few ms difference between the two even on a perfectly synced system)

Then, there is your use of the dreaded phrase "real time". At the risk of running away on a tangent, take a look at this post for reasons why "real-time" in your use case is probably a bad idea.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/734767/why-are-realtime-searches-disliked-in-the-splunk-w.html

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

santosh_sshanbh
Path Finder

Thanks for the inputs. QQ, can you share some thoughts on how to get the time of NTP server?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...