Splunk Enterprise

Splunk Enterprise upgrade to 9.1.0.1, all users disappeared

tlmayes
Contributor

Upgraded several independent instances of Splunk Enterprise from various starting points, all to 9.1.0.1.   Some clustered, some standalone.

• 8.1 -> 9.1.0.1
  • 9.0.1 -> 9.1.0.1

All had the same outcome:  When browsing to: Settings > Users and Authentication > Users, most but not all users are no longer visible in the 'Users' list, but the users still have access as validate by Splunk logs.  In the most severe case there were 100+ users, mostly SAML, some local.  Post upgrade there are 4 showing, yet in validation all can still login

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I used to have a similar problem (but at some earlier version) due to wrong entries in authorize.conf

If I remember correctly, it had something to do with a role having set edit_roles_grantable privilege but not having defined grantableRoles parameter. User with such role would not show in the users list but would still be able to authenticate to web interface and use the system normally.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I used to have a similar problem (but at some earlier version) due to wrong entries in authorize.conf

If I remember correctly, it had something to do with a role having set edit_roles_grantable privilege but not having defined grantableRoles parameter. User with such role would not show in the users list but would still be able to authenticate to web interface and use the system normally.

0 Karma

tlmayes
Contributor

PickleRick, seems you were right, and thanks for the response. 
There was a bug reported in 2019, that in my opinion is back with v9.1.0.1. Reference: https://community.splunk.com/t5/Security/Admin-can-t-see-users-with-a-certain-role-and-we-can-t-take... 

Adding all roles to 'grandableRoles' solved the problem.  Consider this a bug since the problem appeared immediately on several deployments, all unrelated to each other, that all worked fine immediately preceding upgrade.  

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@tlmayes - I don't see any known issues, hence I would say create a Splunk support case.

I hope this helps!! Consider upvoting!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...