Splunk Enterprise

Sending logs from kubernetes to on prem Splunk Enterprise?

nmsvuuk
Engager

Hi

Trying to figure out how best to send the logs (at least kubernetes logs+ possibly application logs) from on prem Kubernetes cluster to on prem Splunk Enterprise.

I have gone through a long list of options such as 'Splunk app for infrastructure' (EOL),  Splunk connect for kubernetes ( EOL Jan 2024) ,  Splunk Operators v1 and 2  etc

Splunk OpenTelemetry Collector for Kubernetes would look promising but if I understood correctly this only works with observatility (cloud) and not meant to work/ supported  with with Splunk Enterprise.

My question is what is the best way to ship logs from Splunk to Splunk enterprise (both on prem) ? Currently the Logging , Metrics , Traces etc have not yet been configured on Kubernetes clluster I am building. Since we use Splunk for certalized log collection, what ever solution it is needs to work with Splunk enterprise but also ideally be more futureproof than many of solutions seen previously.

Labels (3)
0 Karma

Gr0und_Z3r0
Contributor

hi @nmsvuuk 

You can do so by installing the Splunk Universal forwarder on the master of the cluster and configure the /var/log path for cluster master logs and  for any application related logs, you can use HTTP Event Collector to ship logs to Splunk. 

0 Karma

nmsvuuk
Engager

Hi

I was first thinking there must be a solution to be deployed directly to the Kubernetes as deployment/pods but if installing standard Splunk forwarder on OS level and shipping logs to Splunk enterprise  is a good solution for Kubernetes logs, I  may just try that out . 

I will have a look at the HTTPS collector to see how well it addresses the application side logging.

Thanks for your help!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...