Splunk Enterprise

Pre-emptive eviction of buckets on smartstore ?

agdk
Engager

Hi

We have a splunk installation with smart store enabled. We have plenty of cache on disk, so we are no near the space padding setting.

I have seen bucket downloads from the S3, and I did not expect that. So my question is, do Splunk pre-emptive evict buckets, even if there are enough space ? I se no documentation that states it does anything else than LRU.

Regards

André

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kiran_panchavat
Contributor

@agdkIf you’re observing bucket downloads from S3 unexpectedly, it might be worth investigating further.. Verify that your SmartStore configuration is correctly set up. Ensure that the cache and cold storage volumes are properly configured.?? Confirm that the space padding setting is appropriately adjusted to avoid unnecessary eviction..?? 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/TroubleshootSmartStore?_gl=1*j14jj0*_ga*... 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kiran_panchavat
Contributor

@agdkIf you’re observing bucket downloads from S3 unexpectedly, it might be worth investigating further.. Verify that your SmartStore configuration is correctly set up. Ensure that the cache and cold storage volumes are properly configured.?? Confirm that the space padding setting is appropriately adjusted to avoid unnecessary eviction..?? 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/TroubleshootSmartStore?_gl=1*j14jj0*_ga*... 

0 Karma

agdk
Engager

Yes, it was the padding / max cache size that was the culprit. The calculation I did was wrong.

Thank you

André

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...