Splunk Enterprise

Migrating Hot drive to faster disk for all indexers

danielbb
Motivator

We are planning for a migration of hot drives to faster disk for all indexers. The current plan is below, and I wonder if it makes sense, because the plan applies maintenance mode for each indexer, and I grew up with using maintenance mode for the entire operation. Any thoughts?

The current plan -

Event monitoring
Suspend monitoring of alert on the indexers

(Repeat following for each indexer, one at a time)

Splunk Ops:
Put Splunk Cluster in Maintenance Mode
Stop Splunk service on One Indexer

VM Ops
vMotion the existing 2.5TB disk to any Unity datastores
Provision new 2.5TB VM disk from the VSAN datastore

Linux Ops
Rename the existing hot data logical volume "/opt/splunk/hot-data" to "/opt/splunk/hot-data-old"
Create a new volume group and mount the new 2.5TB disk as "/opt/splunk/hot-data"

Splunk Ops
Restart Splunk service on indexer
Take Indexer Cluster out of Maintenance Mode
Review Cluster Master to confirm indexer is processing and rebalancing has started as expected
Wait a few minutes to allow for Splunk to rebalance across all indexers

(Return to top and repeat steps for next indexer)

Splunk Ops: 
Validate service and perform test searches
Check CM Panel - -> Resources/usage/machine  (bottom panel - IOWait Times) and monitor changes in IOWait

Event monitoring
Enable monitoring of alert on the indexers

In addition, Splunk PS suggested to use -

splunk offline --enforce-counts

Not sure if it's the right way since it might need to migrate the ~40TB of cold data, and would slow the entire operation

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm a bit lost here. If you're doing vmotion between datastores why bothering with logical storage operations within vms?

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I'm totally agree with @PickleRick. If you have this in VMware or something similar, why you don't use it to do that storage mgigration? In those cases there is no need to do any actions on Splunk side and you can do this without service breaks. Of course if you haven't needed licenses for your virtualisation / storage layer then it's different story. But I expecting that you have linux VGs in use and you can use those to do this without service breaks or at least with minimum reboot etc.

splunk offline --enforce-counters

should use only when you are removing the whole node permanently from cluster!

r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...