Splunk Enterprise

Limit on LOOKUP when use OUTPUT

amzar96
Explorer

Hi, does anyone here faces the same issue?

Below is my sample query for reference.

| makeresults
| eval statename= "Selangor"
| eval mega="state"
| lookup type.csv mega as megas OUTPUT WP_Kuala_Lumpur_list, WP_Putrajaya_list, Johor_list, Kedah_list, Kelantan_list,
Melaka_list, Negeri_Sembilan_list, Pahang_list, Perak_list, Pulau_Pinang_list, Sabah_list, Sarawak_list, Selangor_list, Terengganu_list, Perlis_list
| eval res= case(statename= "Kuala Lumpur", WP_Kuala_Lumpur_list,
statename= "Putrajaya", WP_Putrajaya_list,
statename= "Johor", Johor_list,
statename= "Kedah", Kedah_list,
statename= "Kelantan", Kelantan_list,
statename= "Melaka", Melaka_list,
statename= "Negeri Sembilan", Negeri_Sembilan_list,
statename= "Pahang", Pahang_list,
statename= "Perak", Perak_list,
statename= "Pulau Pinang", Pulau_Pinang_list,
statename= "Sabah", Sabah_list,
statename= "Sarawak", Sarawak_list,
statename= "Selangor", Selangor_list,
statename= "Terengganu", Terengganu_list,
statename= "Perlis", Perlis_list)

| table res

In the lookup, Selangor_list has more than 60 rows. But, when I ran the query it just show me 33 rows.

then, I figure out if run the query with less OUTPUT it is able to show the correct data.

May I know any limitations on this?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ashvinpandey
Contributor

@amzar96 
Basically the more fields you will specify in the output it will first match with the lookup field and your event field if they match then that output is shown else neglected.

Usage:

When using the lookup command, if an OUTPUT or OUTPUTNEW clause is not specified, all of the fields in the lookup table that are not the match field are used as output fields. If the OUTPUT clause is specified, the output lookup fields overwrite existing fields. If the OUTPUTNEW clause is specified, the lookup is not performed for events in which the output fields already exist.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SCS/current/SearchReference/lookupcommandexamples 

Also, If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...