Splunk Enterprise

How to find out the GB/Day of data ingestion not using license data query?

scottj1y
Path Finder

Hi, I've been trying to piece together a query that a power user could run that could report the GB/Day of data indexed for a particular index without having to access the license usage data (which a power user wouldn't have access to).

I've been trying to leverage the dashboards in the Monitoring app but nothing seems to be quite what I need.  I'd like to get the deployment wide GB/day indexed for a single index which seems easy but so far I haven't been able to crack it.

Any suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

meetmshah
Contributor

In any case, power user won't have access to the _internal index. You can either calculate the usage based on individual index like " | eval event_size=if(isnotnull(len(_raw)), len(_raw), 0) | stats sum(event_size) as total_bytes by sourcetype | eval total_gb=round(total_bytes/1024/1024/1024, 3)" 

OR

Create a saved search through the admin user which updates the lookup (or summary index) with ingestion details and let power users access that lookup / summary index for Dashboard panels.

The last option would be easy to manage and suggested.

Please accept the answer if that helps!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

scottj1y
Path Finder

Let me check that out and I will mark it gratefully.  😀

0 Karma

meetmshah
Contributor

In any case, power user won't have access to the _internal index. You can either calculate the usage based on individual index like " | eval event_size=if(isnotnull(len(_raw)), len(_raw), 0) | stats sum(event_size) as total_bytes by sourcetype | eval total_gb=round(total_bytes/1024/1024/1024, 3)" 

OR

Create a saved search through the admin user which updates the lookup (or summary index) with ingestion details and let power users access that lookup / summary index for Dashboard panels.

The last option would be easy to manage and suggested.

Please accept the answer if that helps!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...