Splunk Enterprise

How to find out the GB/Day of data ingestion not using license data query?

scottj1y
Path Finder

Hi, I've been trying to piece together a query that a power user could run that could report the GB/Day of data indexed for a particular index without having to access the license usage data (which a power user wouldn't have access to).

I've been trying to leverage the dashboards in the Monitoring app but nothing seems to be quite what I need.  I'd like to get the deployment wide GB/day indexed for a single index which seems easy but so far I haven't been able to crack it.

Any suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

meetmshah
Contributor

In any case, power user won't have access to the _internal index. You can either calculate the usage based on individual index like " | eval event_size=if(isnotnull(len(_raw)), len(_raw), 0) | stats sum(event_size) as total_bytes by sourcetype | eval total_gb=round(total_bytes/1024/1024/1024, 3)" 

OR

Create a saved search through the admin user which updates the lookup (or summary index) with ingestion details and let power users access that lookup / summary index for Dashboard panels.

The last option would be easy to manage and suggested.

Please accept the answer if that helps!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

scottj1y
Path Finder

Let me check that out and I will mark it gratefully.  😀

0 Karma

meetmshah
Contributor

In any case, power user won't have access to the _internal index. You can either calculate the usage based on individual index like " | eval event_size=if(isnotnull(len(_raw)), len(_raw), 0) | stats sum(event_size) as total_bytes by sourcetype | eval total_gb=round(total_bytes/1024/1024/1024, 3)" 

OR

Create a saved search through the admin user which updates the lookup (or summary index) with ingestion details and let power users access that lookup / summary index for Dashboard panels.

The last option would be easy to manage and suggested.

Please accept the answer if that helps!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...