Splunk Enterprise

How to Distribute and update "manually" created lookup file in the SHC?

NoSpaces
Communicator

Hello to everyone.
I need to distribute a *.csv file that was created by a certain script (not with the help of Splunk).
The script runs every day and may update the file.
How can I do it in the SHC?
I tried to push this file with the help of the Deployer, but the main problem with this approach is that a lookup file is only created if it does not exist on the SHC members. If I push it once, I can't update it.

I understand that I can develop an external script that will delete an old file on the SHC members and then push a new one with the help of the Deployer.
But maybe an easier way exists to resolve my case?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

andrew_nelson
Communicator

In your script, copy the file to SH1.yourdomain.com:/opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/lookup_tmp/ (C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\run\splunk\lookup_tmp\ on Windwos) on one of the SHs. 
This puts it into the Splunk lookup staging directory. 
Make sure to pick one of the search heads and not a domain alias for your environment. Knowing the exact SH that you copy the file to is important for the next step. 

Then you can use the REST API to promote it to the production version of the lookup using the below endpoint:

curl -k -u admin:pass https://SH1.yourdomain.com:8089/servicesNS/<user>/<app>/data/lookup-table-files/lookup_file_name.csv -d eai:data=/opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/lookup_tmp/new_lookup_file_name.csv

If the lookup is to be shared in the app, you can set the user to nobody.

This API call checks the staging area for a CSV called new_lookup_file_name.csv and overwrites the lookup_file_name.csv in production. 

Since its elevated via the Splunk API, Splunk takes care of the replication to other SHs in the cluster.

Documentation on this can be found here: Knowledge endpoint descriptions - Splunk Documentation 

NoSpaces
Communicator

Thank you for the workaround
I will check out this approach

0 Karma

NoSpaces
Communicator

Up

0 Karma

NoSpaces
Communicator

Up

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...