Splunk Enterprise

How do I compare two chunks of multiple values of different fields from different events?

zijian
Explorer

Hi,

I am using Splunk Enterprise Version 9 where the new index _configtracker is able to show changes made to configuration files.

However, it is hard to identify the changes made to a correlation search in savedsearches.conf at a glance or use the data.changes{}.properties{}.new_value field as it contains multiple values.

Furthermore, the change is spread over two events where one shows data.changes{}.properties{}.new_value (post-change field.jpg) and the other shows data.changes{}.properties{}.old_value (empty values)

How can I compare all the multiple values under the field and return the property that is being changed?

I am guessing I can link the two events using the "new_checksum" and "old_checksum".

I removed most of the fields to make it easier to read and changed the content of the SPL to <Search content> to mask some information.

Pre-change raw details:

{"datetime":"06-21-2022 16:29:41.119 +0800","log_level":"INFO ","component":"ConfigChange","data":{"path":"/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/local/savedsearches.conf","action":"update","modtime":"Tue Jun 21 16:29:41 2022","epoch_time":"1655800181","new_checksum":"0x621552b3fcbdfc9e","old_checksum":"0x95c4bf5f0b449f9","changes":[{"stanza":"Endpoint - Linux/MS - Server Reboot/Shutdown - Rule","properties":[{"name":"action.correlationsearch.annotations","new_value":"","old_value":"{}"},{"name":"realtime_schedule","new_value":"","old_value":"0"},

{"name":"search","new_value":"","old_value":"(<Search content>"}]}]}}

Post-change raw details:

{"datetime":"06-21-2022 16:29:41.642 +0800","log_level":"INFO ","component":"ConfigChange","data":{"path":"/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/local/savedsearches.conf","action":"update","modtime":"Tue Jun 21 16:29:41 2022","epoch_time":"1655800181","new_checksum":"0xf5867665b8a15f4","old_checksum":"0x621552b3fcbdfc9e","changes":[{"stanza":"Endpoint - Linux/MS - Server Reboot/Shutdown - Rule","properties":[{"name":"action.correlationsearch.annotations","new_value":"{}","old_value":""},{"name":"realtime_schedule","new_value":"0","old_value":""},

{"name":"search","new_value":"(<Search content>","old_value":""}]}]}}

Regards,

Zijian

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...