Splunk Enterprise

How could I get multiple result when using "case"?

Questioner
Path Finder

I want to show this requirement in splunk.

• when year<="2020" &&  time_type = "ALL" make variable "day_type" must have "day"
  • when year>"2020" &&  time_type = "ALL" make variable  "day_type" can have "day" and "night"
  • when time_type="half" make variable "day_type" must have "morning"

So, I wrote my code like this, but it doesn't working at all.

where day_type = case("$time_type$"=="ALL", case("$year$"<="2020", "day",1=1, in("day","night")), "$time_type$"=="half", "morning", 1=1,day_type)

How could I make this Requirement ??

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you trying to filter your events based on the values in these fields?

| where (year<=2020 AND time_type=="ALL" AND day_type=="day") OR (year>2020 AND time_type="ALL" AND (day_type=="day" OR day_type=="night")) OR (time_type=="half" AND day_type=="morning")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Manasa_401
Communicator

Hi @Questioner 

First using an eval create a day_type field with the conditions and next you can use where command to filter for the day_type you need.

| eval day_type=case(time_type="ALL" AND year<=2020,"day",time_type = "ALL" AND year>2020,"day night",1=1,"morning")
| where like(day_type,"%day%")

You can pass the token in where command

If this answer helps, an upvote would be appreciated.

0 Karma

Questioner
Path Finder

But it cound not recognized " like(day_type, "%day")"
It said the expression is malformed.😢

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you trying to filter your events based on the values in these fields?

| where (year<=2020 AND time_type=="ALL" AND day_type=="day") OR (year>2020 AND time_type="ALL" AND (day_type=="day" OR day_type=="night")) OR (time_type=="half" AND day_type=="morning")
0 Karma

Questioner
Path Finder

I never thought of it this way.

Thank you for your information!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability - Improvements to Custom Metrics SLOs, Log Observer Connect & ...

The latest enhancements to the Splunk observability portfolio deliver improved SLO management accuracy, better ...

Improve Data Pipelines Using Splunk Data Management

Register Now   This Tech Talk will explore the pipeline management offerings Edge Processor and Ingest ...

3-2-1 Go! How Fast Can You Debug Microservices with Observability Cloud?

Register Join this Tech Talk to learn how unique features like Service Centric Views, Tag Spotlight, and ...