Splunk Enterprise

How can I disable audittrial logs to get ingested in Splunk?

splunk_user_maj
Loves-to-Learn Lots

How can I disable audittrial logs to get ingested in splunk?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ruman_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, you're right. Splunk does not monitor the audit logs with a file input. Instead Splunk sends audit events directly to the ingest queue.

This can be disabled in audit.conf. Please see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Auditconf for details.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you rally want to do it, you must remove file monitor for $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/audit.log files.

I'm not sure, but expecting that this could came back every time when you are updating your splunk instance?

r. Ismo

0 Karma

splunk_user_maj
Loves-to-Learn Lots

But..this path is actually not being monitored..i also checked in the default configurations of splunk..its not being monitored...

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try to splunk list monitor in any of you splunk server and you see that it's there.

e.g in macOS:

splunk list monitor|egrep audit.log
/Applications/Splunk/var/log/splunk/audit.log
/Applications/Splunk/var/log/splunk/audit.log.1
/Applications/Splunk/var/log/splunk/audit.log.2
/Applications/Splunk/var/log/splunk/audit.log.3
/Applications/Splunk/var/log/splunk/audit.log.4
/Applications/Splunk/var/log/splunk/audit.log.5

It seems that there is no inputs.conf for it, but you could found that 

egrep audit.log /Applications/Splunk/etc/log.cfg
# audit logs go a separate file
appender.audittrail.fileName=${SPLUNK_HOME}/var/log/splunk/audit.log

Personally I don't like to edit those files as it probably breaks splunk support if you ever need it.

If you really get rid of those events then probably better idea is to decrease retention time of this index? 

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...