Splunk Enterprise

ERROR">Cannot perform action "POST" without a target name to act on

damode1
Path Finder

I need to run a curl command to run various tasks such as creating searches, accessing searches etc.

I have the below command which works perfectly

curl -k -u admin:test12345 https://127.0.0.1:8089/services/saved/searches/ \
 -d name=test_durable \
 -d cron_schedule="*/15 * * * *" \
 -d description="This test job is a durable saved search" \
 -d dispatch.earliest_time="-15h@h" -d dispatch.latest_time=now \
 --data-urlencode search="search index=_audit sourcetype=audittrail | stats count by host"

but given that I may have to craft various curl commands with different -d flags, I want to be able to pass values through a file so I used below command

curl -k -u admin:test12345 https://127.0.0.1:8089/services/saved/searches/ --data-binary data.json

where data.json looks like this

{
    "name": "test_durable",
    "cron_schedule": "*/15 * * * *",
    "description": "This test job is a durable saved search",
    "dispatch.earliest_time": "-15h@h",
    "dispatch.latest_time": "now",
    "search": "search index=_audit sourcetype=audittrail | stats count by host"
}

but in doing so I get following error

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
  <messages>
    <msg type="ERROR">Cannot perform action "POST" without a target name to act on.</msg>
  </messages>
</response>

So after going through lot of different posts on this topic, I realised Splunk seems to have problem with json format or mainly extracting the 'name' attribute from json format.

Can someone please assist with how I can craft Curl command that uses data from a file like I am using above and get correct response from Splunk ?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...