Splunk Enterprise

Deployment server does not forward app to HF

SplunkExplorer
Contributor

Hi Splunkers, I'm deploying a new Splunk Enterprise environment; inside it, I have (for now) 2 HF and a DS.
I'm trying to set an outputs.conf file on both HF via DS; clients perform a correct phoning to DS, but then apps are not downloaded. I checked the internal logs and I got no error related to app.
I followed doc and course material used during Architect course for references.

Below, configuration I made on DS.

App name: 

/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/hf_seu_outputs/

App file

/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/hf_seu_outputs/default/app.conf

[ui]
is_visible = 0

[package]
id = hf_outputs
check_for_updates = 0

/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/hf_seu_outputs/local/outputs.conf

[indexAndForward]
index=false

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group
forwardedindex.filter.disable = true
indexAndForward = false

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]
server=<idx1_ip_address>:9997, <idx2_ip_address>:9997, <idx3_ip_address>:9997

serverclass.conf:

[serverClass:spoke_hf:app:hf_seu_outputs]
restartSplunkWeb = 0
restartSplunkd = 1
stateOnClient = enabled

[serverClass:spoke_hf]
whitelist.0 = <HF1_ip_address>, <HF1_ip_address>

File and folder permission are right, owner is the user used to execute Splunk (in a nutshell, the owner of /opt/spluk). I suppose it is a very stupid issue, but I'm not able to figured it out.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

SplunkExplorer
Contributor

Solved.

The issue was related to this configuration sgement:

Searching better into documentation, I found that comma separated IP address list is not supported.
After I switched to:

whitelist.0 = <HF1 IP Address>
whitelist.1 = <HF2 IP Address>

Issue went away.

View solution in original post

SplunkExplorer
Contributor

Solved.

The issue was related to this configuration sgement:

Searching better into documentation, I found that comma separated IP address list is not supported.
After I switched to:

whitelist.0 = <HF1 IP Address>
whitelist.1 = <HF2 IP Address>

Issue went away.

deepakc
Builder

A few things to check - (I know you have done some already)  

Check that your serverclass is taking the current config (might be some config that’s  overriding, its normally in /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/serverclass and sometimes in a dedicated app /opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool serverclass list --debug

Check the Permissions on the HF's /opt/splunk/etc/apps/  (sudo chown -R splunk:splunk /opt/splunk/etc/apps - this is typical)

Restart the HF / Deployment Server

Can you verify the ownership of the apps on the Deployment Server (Typically they should be splunk:splunk sudo chown -R splunk:splunk /opt/splunk/etc/deployment_apps)

Can you verify the firewall ports are all OK 8089 (HF to DS - port 8089)

Can you double check the apps names in serverclass.conf (I have seen app name typo's errors in the past)  

0 Karma

SplunkExplorer
Contributor

Hi @deepakc, following output of required checks:

Check that your serverclass is taking the current config (might be some config that’s  overriding, its normally in /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/serverclass and sometimes in a dedicated app /opt/splunk/bin/splunk btool serverclass list --debug - Done: the only 2 serverclass.conf files are the ones under $SPLUNK_HOME$/etc/system/default and $SPLUNK_HOME$/etc/system/local

Check the Permissions on the HF's /opt/splunk/etc/apps/  (sudo chown -R splunk:splunk /opt/splunk/etc/apps - this is typical) - Done, folder ownership is fine

Restart the HF / Deployment Server - Done

Can you verify the ownership of the apps on the Deployment Server (Typically they should be splunk:splunk sudo chown -R splunk:splunk /opt/splunk/etc/deployment_apps) - Done, ownership if fine

Can you verify the firewall ports are all OK 8089 (HF to DS - port 8089) - Done, HFs can reach DS on 8089 and vice versa

Can you double check the apps names in serverclass.conf (I have seen app name typo's errors in the past)  - Done, app folder name and app name in serveclass.conf are the same

0 Karma

deepakc
Builder

Hi @SplunkExplorer 
Can you check on the HF's /opt/splunk/etc/apps folder if there are some outputs apps there (Left overs perhaps from testing etc) if so remove the app into a /tmp folder, restart HF's,  and push via the deployment server only.  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...