Splunk Enterprise

DB Connect "input type=rising" DB server issue- How can i import the data?

henryfox
Engager

I have an question/Issue with the use of rising option in DB Connect.
I'm using Splunk Ent v 9.0x and DB connect 3.9.0

Im trying to understand how DB connect works with the rising option.  My issue is that when i run it, the DB server is increasing the memory and swapping on the disk in order to return the results. The database im trying to read has more than100Million entries.

What i did with the configuration of the connection was:

1. When i read the data from the DB to get the results  the server responds quickly.

2. When i add the  

select * from DB where ID > ? ORDER By ID ASC   

the server times out, so i increased the timeout value and i eventually got the option to add the ID number i wanted to track from and proceed to the next window.

3.  In the "MAX Rows to Retrieve" field i  added 50000 and left the Fetch Size default "300". Execution policy was every 10minutes.

i was monitoring the server database and noticed that each request splunk db connect makes,  produces   issues on the server.   Looks like the "order by ID ASC"  makes the DB server to sort all the table, which increases the memory consumption and disk swapping. Returns ALL (i guess) the results and splunk ingests only 50.000 events as specified in the "max rows to retrieve"

i checked also the queries splunk run on the DB side, and the query string didn't show any limit , for example  "SELECT * FROM  DB WHERE ID > ? order by ID ASC  Limit 50000;

ID field is indexed.

Is Splunk DB connect always asking the Database server to sort ALL the records ?

How can i import the data, without making performance issue on the DB server? 
Can i add the limit option in the config file for example ?

EDIT:

IDK if DB connect would work if i put at the end of the query in the db_inputs.conf <SELECT * FROM  DB WHERE ID > ? order by ID ASC  Limit 50000>. Any thoughts?

Or i could create  batch jobs to slowly import data till today and then use the "default" rising string?
The question here is if the ORDER  bY asc would still make performance issues to the DB server?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I haven't try this by myself, but as that SQL command is just SQL command, I think that you can/should add that Limit xyzzy to the end of it without issues. Or at least check this from DB Connect user guide. If this is not allowed then I suppose you to create issue to Splunk Support (as this is Splunk supported add-on) or at least create a Idea for that to ideas.splunk.com.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...