Splunk Enterprise

DB Connect [DBX] with Azure AD Auth for Azure MS SQL Connections

luhadia_aditya
Path Finder

I am trying to solve a problem where Splunk DB Connect [DBX] can leverage Azure AD authentication through JDBC driver for Azure MS SQL Server access.

Currently, upon trying to achieve similar, DBX Server ends up into a java exception -

2021-05-15 12:44:31.032 +0800 [dw-56 - POST /api/connections/status] ERROR io.dropwizard.jersey.errors.LoggingExceptionMapper - Error handling a request: be206a071cdf0267
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/microsoft/aad/msal4j/IClientCredential
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.microsoft.aad.msal4j.IClientCredential
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:381)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
... 92 common frames omitted

Microsoft has already enhanced its JDBC Driver to work with Azure AD Auth instead of native MS SQL user based - 

https://docs.microsoft.com/ja-jp/sql/connect/jdbc/connecting-using-azure-active-directory-authentica... 

Point #1 & #2 are about the use-cases one of which I would want make use of, #3 is something that is currently documented and works just fine.

1 - ActiveDirectoryPassword
Supported in driver version v6.0 and later, you authentication=ActiveDirectoryPassword can use your Azure AD username and password to connect to Azure SQL Database and Synapse Analytics.
Illustration of the JDBC String Usage –

jdbc:sqlserver://<instance_url>:<instance_port>;database=<db>;encrypt=true;trustServerCertificate=false;hostNameInCertificate=<instance_domain>;loginTimeout=30;authentication=ActiveDirectoryPassword

2 - ActiveDirectoryServicePrincipal
Supported in driver version v9.2 and later, you authentication=ActiveDirectoryServicePrincipal can use the client ID and secret of the service principal ID to connect to Azure SQL Database and Synapse Analytics.
Illustration of the JDBC String Usage –

jdbc:sqlserver://<instance_url>:<instance_port>;database=<db>;encrypt=true;trustServerCertificate=false;hostNameInCertificate=<instance_domain>;loginTimeout=30;authentication=ActiveDirectoryServicePrincipal;aadSecurePrincipalId=<secure_principal_id>;aadSecurePrincipalSecret=<secure_principal_secret>

3 - SqlPassword - works just fine

authentication=SqlPassword Use to connect to SQL Server using the userName or user and password properties.

Spoiler

- I have approached Splunk Support - They say its beyond break fix
- Then, Professional Services - They say its more of OnDemand
- Then, OnDemand - Says it needs to be an enhancement, so should be an Idea
- Now, Idea - is where I am at this moment

So, I am approaching to the community if someone has solved this problem then please share the solution / workaround, else please upvote the idea, so that it gets the due attention.

Idea - https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I-987 

Splunk Premium Customers and Partners would like to see Splunk DB Connect [DBX] Server enhanced to leverage Azure AD authentication through JDBC driver for Azure MS SQL Server access.

Currently, upon trying to achieve similar, DBX Server ends up into a java exception, detailed into the Support case attached with this idea request.

Microsoft has already enhanced its JDBC Driver to work with Azure AD Auth instead of native MS SQL user based.

Idea is simple - DBX [Req Initiation] ->> JDBC [Request Handover] ->> Azure AD [Request Auth] ->> Azure MS SQL [Request Fulfillment]

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...