Splunk Enterprise

Changes to the splunkd_ui_access.log

fatsug
Contributor

I had this search set up:

index=_internal source=*splunkd_ui_access.log /app NOT(user="-" OR uri_path="*/app/*/search")

To be able to audit dashboard usage. After updating to 9.1.1 there were very limited numbers of events matching this search.

After a bit of digging it seems that what used to be

"GET /en_US/app/<appname>/<dashboard> HTTP/1.1"

is no longer there and the '/app' URI part no longer points to dashboards. I can find the dashboards accessed instead as

"GET /en-US/splunkd/__raw/servicesNS/<user>/<dashboard>/data/ui/<lots>/<more>

As best as I can see, the information I am interrested in seems to now reside in the "web_access.log" instead, which previously contained a lot more information (like the __raw log now). The events in this log file looks like this:

"GET /en-GB/app/<app>/<dashboard> HTTP/1.1"

So I need to modify the original search to exclude launcher and a different pattern for search etc.

My question is if this is the correct and optimal approach, to work with the "web_access.log" instead of the now seemingly harder to work with "splunkd_ui_access.log". Or should I be looking at some other source or in some other way?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

fatsug
Contributor

It seems that this picks upp ALL web access so the exclude list needs to be a lot more complicated as every accessed URI ends up here ".../dashboards", "...report", -"...reports" etc. So this would work but the search will need to be a lot more complicated then before.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish a search for dashboards visited  are much appreciated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...