Splunk Enterprise

Change default index of dashboards

sigma
Explorer

Hi all

I installed and configured the FortiWeb app for Splunk. I also set a desired index on the heavy forwarder (named fortiweb). There is a problem that the predefined dashboards in the app read the information from the main index. I can edit dashboards and add index=fortiweb to each query but it seems not optimal. how can I chnage the main index to fortiweb index?

Thanks

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

when Apps+TAs have planned and designed to use best practices there are no default index assumptions on those. Usually there is e.g. macro or event type definitions used for those. Then in installation and configuration time that should defined as every deployment want/needs to do it based on their standards.

If/when TAs and Apps didn't follow that practice then you must change those on your installation by your self. Also I suggest that you send feature requirements to the original creator/maintainer to modify these to follow up best practices.

One best practice is: Never ever use main as any purpose! You should always define your own indexes for events based on your local naming etc. standards.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...