Splunk Enterprise Security

Why is Threat Intelligence not correctly parsing and automatically setting to STIX parsing?

RickvdIJ
Explorer

Hi all,

Within Splunk ES I've configured a test threat intelligence feed with the following settings:

New > Line oriented

• Name: Binary Defense Banlist
  • type: network
  • url: https://www.binarydefense.com/banlist.txt
  • weight: 60
  • interval: 43200
  • Max Age: -30d
  • Max Size: 52428800
  • Checked Threat Intelligence
  • File parser: line
  • Delimiting regular exp: 
  • Extracting regex: ^(\d.+)$
  • Ignoring regex: (^#|^\s*$)
  • fields: ip$1,description:BinaryDefense_banlist
  • skip header lines: 0
  • No encoding, no user agent, sinkhole checked.

Some global parse modifier settings:

• Certificate attribute breakout = checked
  • IDNA encode domains = unchecked
  • Parse domain from URL = unchecked

In debug mode I see that the file is downloaded and then it says:

<timestamp> INFO pid=1050977 tid:MainThread file=get_parser.oy:_detect_file_type:139 | stanza"binary Defense Banlist" status="Automatically detected STIX parsing for file_path /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/threatlist/Binary Defense Banlist"

It goes on to parse the file and get the records. However, the records contain HTML elements like <'\div> and <\iframe> as url value. This is strange since it's just a .txt file. Moreover, why is it parsing it like a STIX document when I explicitly stated that the File parser = line?

This happens with other threat feeds as well. I've checked with a colleague at another client and with the exact same settings his works and mine doesn't.

Am I missing something? Do you know where else I can look to troubleshoot?

Some figures:

Splunk: 8.2.9

ES: 7.0.1

Single search head, behind proxy

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

RickvdIJ
Explorer

It looks like a proxy issue where the proxy is returning a blockpage. This explains why Splunk ES is seeing html elements as a result. Still in investigation.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lblystone
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Did you add the proxy options to the intel download settings to see if that remediated it?

Additionally, I have noticed that sometimes the proxy will block the intel downloads as it thinks the list of malicious URLs/domains/IPs is itself malicious. I had to whitelist links coming from my Splunk instance on the proxy to remediate this. 

0 Karma

RickvdIJ
Explorer

It looks like a proxy issue where the proxy is returning a blockpage. This explains why Splunk ES is seeing html elements as a result. Still in investigation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...