Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk Enterprise Security 4.1.1 and storage requirements: Where are ES files stored?

brent_weaver
Builder

I am installing Splunk Enterprise Security 4.1.1 and know that this application can gobble up file system space. I have Splunk installed in /opt/splunk (which is typical) and need to know where ES keeps all these files. My idea is to add additional storage to the system and make a symlink to it so there is plenty of space for ES and not killing my root fs.

Any thoughts are welcomed!

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Well there are a few different components to ES. But mainly, all of your application files will be under the $splunk_home$/etc/apps/ directory. Under here, ES has a lot of components it installs (DA-, SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite, SA-, and a few others.) Typically though, these wont grow huge, with the exception of the lookups. (Assets, Identities, Threathlist feeeds, and KVStore..)

Aside from that, if you're not running in a distributed environment, where your indexing tier is different from your SH, your $splunk_home$/var/lib/splunk directory will be where the actual indexes are stored and where the most space is consumed on disk.

I most production environments, we usually see the /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk folder mounted on NAS/SAN/DAS with a nice large disk pool. The rest can usually reside nicely on the recommended 300gb partition.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

2024 Splunk Career Impact Survey | Earn a $20 gift card for participating!

Hear ye, hear ye! The time has come again for Splunk's annual Career Impact Survey!  We need your help by ...

Optimize Cloud Monitoring

TECH TALKS Optimize Cloud Monitoring Tuesday, August 13, 2024  |  11:00AM–12:00PM PST   Register to ...

What's New in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.2.2403?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.2.2403! Analysts can ...