Splunk Enterprise Security

Splunk Add-on - multi select values in an alert action

shacharh

Hi,

I'm working on an add-on for Splunk. I added an alert action, and I'm adding some fields to it.
How can I add a dynamic multi-select field? The use case - I query Splunk, display the values, and allow the user to select some or all of them. The closest thing I've found is Splunk's splunk-search-dropdown, but it is only for single select.

Thanks,
Shachar

0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

would it be of any issue, if you concatenate the multiple values selected by user to something like "value1, value2,value3" and send it your alert actions, where you can act based on value1, 2 3?

0 Karma

shacharh

@lakshman239 If you mean that the user would be able to select multiple values, and I'll get them as "value1, value2,value3" in the backend, yes, that would work for me.

0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

when user selects multiple values, save them to a field in an index (which has concatenated values) and give this in your alert action [ one of the field].

0 Karma

shacharh

But I need to dynamically create those fields from a search results. Is this possible?

0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

Yes, thats possible. As you know what fields are possible (by dynamic selection), you can save them to a field and inside the modalert*.py, you can parse them and extract them to your needs.

0 Karma

shacharh

@lakshman239 but how can the user choose the fields? (he needs to choose some or all of them)

0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

As part of your add-on, I assume you are building a config page and alert UI (where you run a search and show fields in multi-select). The users select them and you save them to another field or index, which is passed as alert actions (pls check alert_actions.conf) and inside your modalert*.py you can then process them. Hope I am thinking along your requirements. If you are using Add-on builder, it will be easy.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...