Splunk Enterprise Security

Process Injection related query

yourfriend
Loves-to-Learn

Hello Team,

We are using Enterprise security in our environment and we have created correlation searches to trigger an alerts. Out of those there is one particular use case which is related to Process injection, We are receiving maximum number of incidents on this due to one Here I am not giving the name of the exe file due to security concerns: I will be using it as ___.exe

Shellcode Injection activity detected. Process "___e.exe" has injected itself into ___.exe, ***.exe, +++.exe, ^^^.exe like this we are receiving many incidents. I have some doubts on this:

1. What is this Process injection and why the process are getting injected to others? ,

2. How could we stop this to getting injected to others in Splunk  (Or from Endgame),

3. We want to fine tune this use case, Is there any alternative to suppress these alerts from Endgame,

4. We have whitelisted some of these alerts with Source process path and Target process path, But still ___.exe still it getting triggered with new target paths. Its always injecting into some other targets.

Can anyone please explain in clear cut, I am a rookie in cyber security. Not exactly getting many things. But out of those this is one which is hunting me.

Thanking you in advance. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...