Splunk Enterprise Security

Migrate ES correlation rules to a custom app

soumyasaha25
Contributor

I would have to move my custom Correlation rules  to a custom TA-foo app

My correlation searches comprises of:

1. custom rules created from scratch (all across the apps estate - yup, its a mess) and
  2. a few of the OOB CRs from the DA-ESS-SA-TA-Splunk_SA_Splunk_TA_, and Splunk_DA-ESS_  apps that were modified as per my requirement

Are there any best practices/recommendations that i need to consider other than 

1.  Add import = TA-foo in local.meta in <Splunk_HOME>/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/metadata
  2. add request.ui_dispatch_app = SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite in savedsearches.conf for each of the Correlation searches that i migrate

PS: I will also migrate the dependant KOs (macros/lookups etc) in a similar fashion to the TA-foo add on.

Is there any other better way to go about it, just to be future safe for upgrades, so that i have a single touchpoint rather than running after optimisations in each app after any activity such as a version upgrade .

Splunk version 7.3.0

ES version 5.3.1

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@soumyasaha25  Normally, if you have access to the UI, You should be able to move/clone the correlation search/knowledge objects  (KO) from one app to another app. This would move all the dependent KO's as well. But if you have a lot to do and have access to conf files, you can copy the contents from diff apps to your new custom app and delete after testing/validation. You don't need to add import in local.meta, as you can make your app's permission to 'global/system'. ES no longer selectively imports app/TA/SA-*.  

You can have dispatch context as ES if you want. 

Test/check splunkd.logs/btool for any errors after migration and restarting the instances.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@soumyasaha25  Normally, if you have access to the UI, You should be able to move/clone the correlation search/knowledge objects  (KO) from one app to another app. This would move all the dependent KO's as well. But if you have a lot to do and have access to conf files, you can copy the contents from diff apps to your new custom app and delete after testing/validation. You don't need to add import in local.meta, as you can make your app's permission to 'global/system'. ES no longer selectively imports app/TA/SA-*.  

You can have dispatch context as ES if you want. 

Test/check splunkd.logs/btool for any errors after migration and restarting the instances.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Observability Highlights | January 2023 Newsletter

January 2023New Product Releases Splunk Network Explorer for Infrastructure MonitoringSplunk unveils Network ...

Security Highlights | January 2023 Newsletter

January 2023 Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) 3.7.0 ReleaseThe free Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) 3.7.0 app ...

Platform Highlights | January 2023 Newsletter

January 2023Peace on Earth and Peace of Mind With Business ResilienceAll organizations can start the new year ...