Splunk Enterprise Security

Major upgrade fail on ES from version 4.5.2 to 5.0.1. Please help !!!

damode
Motivator

alt text

After I installed the ES app, I got the error as shown in the attached picture.
On the ES upgrade page, I noticed it mentions about If you do not run the setup procedure promptly after the file upload completes, Enterprise Security displays errors.
To fix this, I restarted Splunk, but on the cli, it came up with a whole heap of errors, such as below, which is just an extract of the errors.

Invalid key in stanza [identityLookup] in /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-IdentityManagement/local/identityLookup.conf, line 6: eai:appName  (value:  SA-IdentityManagement).
                Invalid key in stanza [identityLookup] in /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-IdentityManagement/local/identityLookup.conf, line 7: eai:userName  (value:  nobody).
                Invalid key in stanza [nav_collection:ess_security_intelligence] in /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/default/managed_configurations.conf, line 83: nav_collection_status     (value:  old).
                Invalid key in stanza [nav_collection:ess_security_intelligence] in /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecuritySuite/default/managed_configurations.conf, line 120: nav_collection_data      (value:

UPDATE : additional info - Before this, I had just upgraded Splunk SH from 6.5.2 to 6.6.1. There was no issue after this upgrade.

Please advise how I can fix this.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Did you check the compatability of that version of ES with that version of Splunk?

0 Karma

damode
Motivator

after restarting, ES app just shows a blank page after clicking the "Set up" option.

0 Karma

martynoconnor
Communicator

Is this Linux or Windows? If Linux and the permissions were not set correctly you may have only partially upgraded and may be running a Frankenstein's ES at the moment. If it is as simple as that, a chown -R splunk:splunk /opt/splunk (assuming that's the account and location that match your environment) and a second attempt at install should fix things.

If not...

What does it say in Splunkd.log? Look for ERROR or WARN messages there. Also in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/ you should have a file called (if memory serves) ess2_installer.log or maybe ess_installer2.log, can you look there and post the last 100 lines or so?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...