Splunk Enterprise Security

Invalid message type: 28 during Splunk ES 7.1 Upgrade

youngsuh
Contributor

Getting this error via UI upgrade to Splunk 7.1:  Invalid message type: 28

We're on version 9.0.4.  Previous upgrade work without this error using the UI.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

youngsuh
Contributor

We deleted the /tmp to clear for the upgrade after failure.  Did the CLI upgrade instead based on the documentation.

Upgrade Splunk Enterprise Security - Splunk Documentation

./splunk install app <path to app> -update 1 -auth <username>:<password>

Then we went the UI portion to finish the configuration.  Watch the usual logs. Restarted the web UI.

View solution in original post

youngsuh
Contributor

We deleted the /tmp to clear for the upgrade after failure.  Did the CLI upgrade instead based on the documentation.

Upgrade Splunk Enterprise Security - Splunk Documentation

./splunk install app <path to app> -update 1 -auth <username>:<password>

Then we went the UI portion to finish the configuration.  Watch the usual logs. Restarted the web UI.

computermathguy
Explorer

I just noticed the same type-28 error.  Before this occurred, were getting a "500 Internal Server" error. We are on Splunk 9.0.5

Waiting to hear back from Splunk support if they can resolve the UI install issue with ES 7.1.1

youngsuh
Contributor

It appears the problem still around.  I am upgrading to 7.3.1 and still getting the error.  I had to use the CLI option to upgrade. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...