Splunk Enterprise Security

How to troubleshoot the Adaptive Response script not running?

b_chris21
Communicator

Hello everyone,

I have set an Adaptive Response Action (custom bash script) along with a Notable event on a simple correlation search. The Notable triggers but the script not.

The script is used to initiate a tcpdump capture on an indexer. The script is placed under:

- /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkEnterpriseSecurity/bin/tcpdump.sh

- /opt/splunk/bin/scripts/tcpdump.sh

Owner: splunk  Permissions: 755

tcpdump.sh

#!/bin/bash
#Initiate tcpdump (3 dumps for 5mins each)
tcpdump -i ens33 -G 300 -W 3 -w /mnt/nfs/pcaps/pcap-%Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S

I tried to create an app with an Adaptive Response Action with Addon-Builder but my coding skills are not good.

How can I troubleshoot why the script is not running at all?

Thanks

Chris

Labels (1)
0 Karma

venky1544
Builder

Hi @b_chris21 

try to add the full path and give it a try 

/usr/sbin/tcpdump

b_chris21
Communicator

Hello,

this works when manually triggering the script as splunk user (on the indexer directly). I know try to get the adaptive response action work.

Question: the script should reside on Splunk ES or on remote indexer? Or normally it should replicated via the replication bundle?

Thanks

0 Karma

b_chris21
Communicator

I managed to have the script run after the Notable was triggered, but the script actually run on the machine where ES is installed.

How can I get it run on the Indexer?

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...