Splunk Enterprise Security

How to migrate Splunk Enterprise Security from VM to new physical host?

discenzadoe
Explorer

I need to migrate my current ES installation from a VM to a physical host, due to performance issues in the virtual instance. 

Because of internal policies, I cannot simply clone the system via rsync, as the new physical box must have a new name to indicate it isn't a VM.

I tried copying the /opt/splunk/etc/system subdirectory of the new server to a backup location, then using rsync to replicate the /opt/splunk/etc subdirectory structure from the functional VM to the new server. I copied the backup of system back into place, except for the server.conf which I merged the two together.

Tons of errors. Tons of missing data in the ES dashboards.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

Have you considered fresh ES install on the new physical server and migrate the data from your VM?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...