Splunk Enterprise Security

How to Spot the Signs of Lateral Movement

AL3Z
Builder

Hi,
Could anyone pls guide me how we can detect an attacker moving laterally in the environment can be a challenge right, How we can write the correlation search is there any prerequisites  need to be followed.

Thanks in advance

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@AL3Z - Search for "lateral" on this website - https://research.splunk.com/ (ES Content Update App) and you will find some common use-case along with details.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@AL3Z - Sample reference query

| tstats count min(_time) as firstTime max(_time) as lastTime from datamodel=Endpoint.Processes where (Processes.parent_process_name=wmiprvse.exe OR Processes.parent_process_name=services.exe OR Processes.parent_process_name=svchost.exe OR Processes.parent_process_name=wsmprovhost.exe OR Processes.parent_process_name=mmc.exe) (Processes.process_name=powershell.exe OR (Processes.process_name=cmd.exe AND Processes.process=*powershell.exe*) OR Processes.process_name=pwsh.exe OR (Processes.process_name=cmd.exe AND Processes.process=*pwsh.exe*)) by Processes.dest Processes.user Processes.parent_process_name Processes.process_name Processes.process Processes.process_id Processes.parent_process_id 
| rename Processes.* as *
| eval firstTime = strftime(firstTime, "%F %T")
| eval lastTime = strftime(lastTime, "%F %T")

FYI, this is just one sample example to detect lateral movement in powershell. Lateral Movement is broad topic, so please refer to my original answer.

I hope this helps!!! Kindly upvote if it does!!!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...