Splunk Enterprise Security

Anyone have experience with ingesting Nessus scan data into Splunk with the new Tenable app/add-on ?

damode
Motivator

Anyone have experience with ingesting Nessus scan data into Splunk with the new Tenable app/add-on ?

if yes, please share what "application" type did you choose when configuring the add-on on the configuration page ?

Currently it gives three options
- Tenable.sc Credentials
- Tenable.sc Certificates

- Tenable.io

Which one do I choose for Nessus ?

nickhills
Ultra Champion

In their infinite wisdom, Tenable changed the features available across the Tenable/Nessus product line up a few years ago.

Essentially, they decided that unless you were subscribed to either Tenable.IO or Tenable Security Centre, you should not be able to export scan results into a SIEM (or any other tool)

At the time, they also removed the API allowing you to export data from nessus in its native format. There was much uproar over this, so I believe the API was restored, however, Tenable no longer actively 'support' extracting scan results from a stand alone nessus scanner. That is why the Tenable add-on only provides options for IO/SC.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...