Splunk Enterprise Security

Ad hoc adaptive response executed twice

goran_epl
Explorer

Hello,

I've created adaptive response action with Add-on builder 3.0.1. It creates a ticket in ticketing system. 

Splunk enterprise security 6.2.0 is running in a cluster. Indexers are also clustered, multi-site. Splunk is 8.0.6.

When action is triggered from saved alert, it works perfectly. When running ad hoc action from Incident review page the script gets executed twice and creates two same tickets. There is a 5 seconds difference between two actions.

Why would it be executed twice?

Goran

Labels (1)
0 Karma

morawi5
Explorer

@gor @ebond_splunk  - Are you also seeing duplicates when using something like "ping" too?

0 Karma

ebond_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @morawi5 , yep,  we figured out that all dispatched adhoc mod actions are duplicating. But we also discovered the problem and implemented a fix for the next maintenance release.  If you have access to your splunk instance files, I can show you what file to update. It's a one liner fix in python. Let me know!

0 Karma

goran_epl
Explorer

Yes please. We would like to give a shot with one liner fix in python.

Can you please send it?

0 Karma

morawi5
Explorer

So you'll need to open file "etc/apps/Splunk_SA_CIM/bin/modaction_adhoc_rest_handler.py". And add to line 561.

'preview': 'false',

Basically you'll want the code block to look like this:

args = {
    'output_mode': 'json',
    # CIM-944: adhoc_search_level essential to proper field extraction
    'adhoc_search_level': 'verbose',
    'preview': 'false',
    'search': search
}

Restart afterwards - This worked from me, kudos to @ebond_splunk 

0 Karma

morawi5
Explorer

Yep, I do have access, just private messaged you.

0 Karma

morawi5
Explorer

We are also seeing the same exact situation on Splunk 8.1.1 and ES 6.4.1 

0 Karma

ebond_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@goran_epl 

Were you able to find a solution? If so, there's a similar situation occurring with another customer and we're trying to figure out a solution. The issue is that we can't replicate what's going on. Any ideas?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...