Splunk Dev

Splunk JavaScript help

zacksoft_wf
Contributor

I have a dashboard , where I want some help in developing  a java script that will perform validation on my field.
I have a field named 'url'. I want users to input only values that doesn't have any padded spaces in the starting or ending and it shouldn't also contain  <doublequote>".
I could use some help in building a Java Script to achieve this.

So, far I have created a field ID

<input type="text" token="url" id="url_value" searchWhenChanged="true">    <label>URL</label></input>

In the Splunk XML I have invoked the .js file

<form script="validate the field.js">

I do need some help in writing the javascript that could check for padded spaces in starting or beggining and also to check for " double quote . So that user would avoid inputing this things in the field.

require(["jquery", "splunkjs/mvc/simplexml/ready!"], function($) {
$("[id^=url_value]")
.attr('type','number')

....don't know what next to write here in the .js

Labels (1)
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@zacksoft_wf 

Can you please try this?

<form script="a.js">
  <label>Url Validation</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="false">
    <input type="text" token="tkn_url" id="tkn_url_id">
      <label>URL</label>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
</form>

a.js

require([
    'underscore',
    'splunkjs/mvc',
    'jquery',
    "splunkjs/mvc/simplexml/ready!"
], function(_, mvc, $) {
    var tkn_url = splunkjs.mvc.Components.getInstance("tkn_url_id"); // your multiselect id here
    tkn_url.on("change", function(e) {
        console.log(e)
            // e.preventDefault();
        if (!isUrlValid(e)) {
            alert("Enter Valid URL")
            return false;
        }
    })

function isUrlValid(userInput) {
        console.log(userInput)
        var res = userInput.match(/(http(s)?:\/\/.)?(www\.)?[-a-zA-Z0-9@:%._\+~#=]{2,256}\.[a-z]{2,6}\b([-a-zA-Z0-9@:%_\+.~#?&//=]*)/g);
        if (res == null)
            return false;
        else
            return true;
    }

})

Thanks
KV
▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一   😉

If any of my reply helps you to solve the problem Or gain knowledge, an upvote would be appreciated.

0 Karma

zacksoft_wf
Contributor

@kamlesh_vaghela 
Hi Kamlesh,
I see the line 

userInput.match(

The regex inside it appears to be matching with a URL field ..starting with Https:/ etc...
But in my case the URL field has a different meaning , the field could contain any string , it doesn't necessarily have to be a web url address.  
Can we modify the regex , so that it matches for
 - no space padded  in the beginning of the string
- no space padded in the end of the string
- There should  not be any double quotes sign "  entered in the string.

If any of the above matches, it should prompt the user to re-enter the value. 
User should keep in mind not to enter strings with spaces in front or end or add any " sign in the input string.

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@zacksoft_wf 

This is an example code, you can change the validation Logic as per your requirements. Just use this code in your JS 🙂

KV

0 Karma

zacksoft_wf
Contributor

@kamlesh_vaghela How do I stop the dashboard button from submitting, if there is a validation error message ?  I get the validation error message , But even if I don't fix the entry, it still allows me to submit that record. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...