Splunk Dev

Splunk App with trial time and expiration

altink
Builder

Is it possible to create a Splunk App with trial feature?
Trial in the sense that it will run for x days with full features (trial time) and after x days, if client-code/pass (or some kind of license) is not provided by user, it stops working or continues with reduced features?
Where can I get any instruction on how to do this?

If possible, can such an App be published at Splunkbase?

best regards
Altin

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think there is any publicly available mechanics for licensing and license enforcement performed by Splunk and available to third-party solutions (as in you can add a license for a third party solution to your Splunk instance and have Splunk enforce it). So you're on your own here. If you can implement something like that - good for you.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Here is some instructions about this https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/releaseapps/splunkbase/optionsforsubmittingcontent/

Before you send your app 1st time to splunkbase you must decide if you are hosting it in splunkbase or some external place. If you want to monetize it you must host it outside of splunkbase. But you can store the information and link to your real hosting page (like your own web site etc.) into splunkbase.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

altink
Builder

Thank you very much @isoutamo .

I did understand that such application must be hosted outside Splunkbase, but can be referenced from there.

But what about how to do the trial-expiry (my main concern)?

I have searched a lot but did not found anything related.

best regards
Altin

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think there is any publicly available mechanics for licensing and license enforcement performed by Splunk and available to third-party solutions (as in you can add a license for a third party solution to your Splunk instance and have Splunk enforce it). So you're on your own here. If you can implement something like that - good for you.

0 Karma

altink
Builder

One last question:

Is my request kind of "monetize your content" like in the link below:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunkbase/splunkbase/Splunkbase/Monetizeyourcontent 
... which now leads to a "Hi! This page does not exist, or has been removed from the documentation. "
?

Am I looking to something that was previously supported, but now is not?

More:
quoted: "you can add a license for a third party solution to your Splunk instance and have Splunk enforce it"

I am not looking per force to " have Splunk enforce it". If I could do it just within my App that would be fine.
Can this be done ?

best regards
Altin

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's just that the link leads to an old part of the docs site which has apparently been retired.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...