Splunk Dev

ImportError: No module named Site

po1splunk

I am trying out Splunk on Windows Server 2012, version 6.6.3 and attempting to do a scripted lookup with a python script. My actual script (makes HTTP call, returns json, I parse and return csv) works with my own installation of Python 2.7 but when I try to run it with the built-in Splunk version I get ImportError: No module named Site

I've searched and found a couple similar posts about this but what has me scratching my head is if I run "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\python.exe" test.py I get

ImportError: No module named Site 

Now, the only thing in test.py is the statement

print "hello"

If I run "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\python.exe" -S test.py I get the expected output

hello

This is a sanity test script of course, just to see if I can get it to do anything I'd expect. So what is going on with the -S (where I'm telling python to ignore site-packages I believe) vrs. not having that arg and I get an error?

Is there something wrong with my install? With a simple print statement I'd expect the built-in Python to work without issue but it does not.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance for any input on this.

0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

If you want to run your script the way Splunk does (with its own libraries and modules) try this:

C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\splunk cmd python ../path to/your script.py

I'm not suggesting this will solve your issue immediately, but under the covers that is how Splunk will execute your script.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

nickhills
Ultra Champion

If you want to run your script the way Splunk does (with its own libraries and modules) try this:

C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\splunk cmd python ../path to/your script.py

I'm not suggesting this will solve your issue immediately, but under the covers that is how Splunk will execute your script.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

po1splunk

Ah, subtle difference. This runs the script as intended. Thank you for this help!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...