Splunk Dev

How to reduce custom search command result chunk size?

joepjisc
Path Finder

We are developing a custom search command to create events, this is using a streaming command with version 2 of the protocol, as the source is quite slow we'd like to send smaller chunks of results back to Splunk than the default 50,000, e.g. chunks of 1,000 events, so that users can view the partial results sooner.

We've tried various approaches including an incrementing integar and calling self.flush() when it is divisable by 1,000, but that caused a buffer full error.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated

@Configuration(type='streaming')
class OurSearchCommand(GeneratingCommand):
    for item in OurGenerator():
        item['_time'] = item['timestamp']
        yield item

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

DexterMarkley
Engager
I know this is an old question, but for anyone else looking for the answer you need to overwrite the record_writer for the class. This is working for me, but I am not sure if there are any other implications of doing this.

self._record_writer._maxresultrows = 1000 

View solution in original post

DexterMarkley
Engager
I know this is an old question, but for anyone else looking for the answer you need to overwrite the record_writer for the class. This is working for me, but I am not sure if there are any other implications of doing this.

self._record_writer._maxresultrows = 1000 

analyst
Loves-to-Learn Everything

@DexterMarkley  may you provide the location of file needed to be changes?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...