Splunk Dev

How to modify lookup ACL via custom REST in Python?

GindiKhangura
Explorer

(Although this example will use Splunk's Lookup Editor app, it applies to custom REST commands in general.)

I am using the Lookup Editor provided by Splunk from SplunkBase (authored by @LukeMurphey) and am saving the lookups with the user in context, which saves it as a private user-scoped artifact.

I would like to make it globally shared while retaining the lookup's ownership information, so I attempt the following after the rest call that saves the lookup:

# Set ACL to make lookup globally shared
url = '/servicesNS/%s/%s/data/lookup-table-files/%s/acl' % (owner, namespace, lookup_file)
postargs = {
    'owner': owner, 
    'sharing': 'global'
}

rest.simpleRequest(url, postargs=postargs, sessionKey=key, raiseAllErrors=True)

When using the lookup editor as an admin, it will work fine as the admin has the capabilities to make such modifications; however, users are not able to do so and the call fails.

How can I programmatically make this REST call as an admin? I am hoping that as the script is on the server-side, I won't have to authenticate as an admin as I imagine that would require having to store credentials, which would be tricky as we have several clusters.

I have also tried making the REST call using the Splunk binary as mentioned in this Answer, but it had no effect.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...