Splunk Dev

Accessing KV Store with Python - collection.data.query()

BernardEAI
Communicator
I'm trying to delete specific items from our kv store by using a python custom command. I retrieve the kv store with the following command:

collection = self.service.kvstore[collection_name]

I then retrieve all the entries in the kv store with:

data_list = collection.data.query()

This works correctly, however only 50000 of the entries are returned. Is there a parameter I can pass to query() to remove the limit of 50000?

Thanks!
Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BernardEAI 

limits.conf having 50k limit by default for [kvstore],  I guess you shall change that in conf can not be passed  in query as platform itself limiting it.

max_rows_per_query = <unsigned integer>
* The maximum number of rows that will be returned for a single query to
  a collection.
* If the query returns more rows than the specified value, then returned
  result set will contain the number of rows specified in this value.
* Default: 50000

--

An upvote would  be appreciated and Accept solution if this reply helps!

View solution in original post

BernardEAI
Communicator

Thanks @venkatasri 

On our DEV server this would be easy to solve,  I could change the max_rows_per_query parameter in limits.conf.

On our production environment, we are tenants on a multi-tenant platform, so we do not have access to the configuration files.

The approach I took here is to make use of the skip parameter that is available in the query function. I can then have a loop that runs through the entire kv store by incrementing the skip parameter:

while end == False:

data_list = collection.data.query(skip=skip_tracker)

if len(data_list) != 0:

for item in data_list:
                        # perform action on entry in kv store (delete, update etc.)

skip_tracker += 50000

else:
                    end = True

More details on the query function here:

https://github.com/splunk/splunk-sdk-python/blob/13f07cd08f8b2017c1cdafc2fbc75673013dc713/splunklib/... 

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BernardEAI 

limits.conf having 50k limit by default for [kvstore],  I guess you shall change that in conf can not be passed  in query as platform itself limiting it.

max_rows_per_query = <unsigned integer>
* The maximum number of rows that will be returned for a single query to
  a collection.
* If the query returns more rows than the specified value, then returned
  result set will contain the number of rows specified in this value.
* Default: 50000

--

An upvote would  be appreciated and Accept solution if this reply helps!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...