Splunk Cloud Platform

monitoring vmware with splunk

genapm

I have a VMWare environment with 12 VMWare hosts. 

Currently we are using splunk cloud and we are using splunk agents to forward logs for  windows virtual machines.

Now I want to monitor vmware hosts(mainly performance metrics). I started checking splunk documentation, but I am a little bit confused what should I use. It looks like till now there was an app- Splunk App for Infrastructure that is used to monitor vmware, and now there is some IT Essentials app, and there are some vmware add-ons, not sure where and how they are used.

Could you please guide me what product should I use, does it has separate licenses that need to be purchased.  Because we are using splunk cloud, do I need to install something on-premises in order to monitor vmware and forward to splunk cloud.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

BamBamMantell
Observer

You can use the Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics - About the Splunk Add-on for VMware Metrics - Splunk Documentation

You deploy the required components, and can configure the collection of inventory and metrics from the vSphere API - and forward logs from Hosts as Syslog into Splunk. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...