Splunk Cloud Platform

Suspicious Event Log Service Behavior

Abhirup_10

I am trying to fine tune one use case "Suspicious Event Log Service Behaviour". Below is the rule logic 

(`wineventlog_security` EventCode=1100) | stats count min(_time) as firstTime max(_time) as lastTime by dest Message EventCode | `security_content_ctime(firstTime)` | `security_content_ctime(lastTime)` | `suspicious_event_log_service_behavior_filter` | collect index=asx sourcetype=asx marker="mitre_id=T1070.001, execution_type=adhoc, execution_time=1637664004.675815"

but the rule is currently too noisy. Is it possible to set a bin time(5mins) between stop logging and start logging events. After 5mins if the logging started then I want to ignore the alerts. 

Or I have seen a field named dvc_priority, can we set the alerts only for high or critical? 

Help me with the query please. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

datadevops
Path Finder

Hi there,

1. Implement a 5-Minute Bin Time:

• Add the bucket command:
search (wineventlog_security EventCode=1100) | 
stats count min(_time) as firstTime max(_time) as lastTime by dest Message EventCode | 
security_content_ctime(firstTime) | 
security_content_ctime(lastTime) | 
suspicious_event_log_service_behavior_filter | 
bucket _time span=5m | 
... (rest of your query)
  • Filter out events with gaps within 5 minutes:
... | 
stats count as event_count by _time dest Message EventCode | 
eval is_first_event = if(_time == earliest(_time), 1, 0) | 
eval is_noisy_event = if(event_count > 1 AND is_first_event == 0, 1, 0) | 
filter not is_noisy_event

2. Filter by dvc_priority:

• Add a filter condition:
... | 
where dvc_priority = "high" OR dvc_priority = "critical" | 
... (rest of your query)

Additional Tips:

• Tailor the bin time: Adjust the span value in bucket _time span=5m to match your desired timeframe.
  • Prioritize based on risk: If dvc_priority accurately reflects risk, filtering by it can be effective.
  • Test thoroughly: Implement changes in a non-production environment first to ensure they work as intended.
  • Combine strategies: For optimal results, consider using both bin time and dvc_priority filtering together.

Remember:

• Replace any placeholders like ... (rest of your query) with the actual remaining parts of your query.
  • Adapt field names and values to match your specific Splunk configuration.

I'm here to assist further if you have any more questions or need additional guidance!

~ If this helps, a Karma upvote would be much appreciated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...