Splunk Cloud Platform

Splunk Cloud DDAS / delete?

KendallW
Contributor

We all know that Splunk Enterprise calculates license usage at index time, and the "| delete" command essentially just hides data from search so doesn't free up license usage. 

My question is whether this works the same way for Splunk Cloud / DDAS, or whether if I run "| delete" from search,  will it free up space in my DDAS entitlement? 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

shivanshu1593
Builder

The delete command essentially works in the same way in Splunk Cloud as it does in an on-prem infrastructure. It won't delete your data from DDAS, but will make it unsearchable.

Thank you,
Shiv
###If you found the answer helpful, kindly consider upvoting/accepting it as the answer as it helps other Splunkers find the solutions to similar issues###

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No. Splunk Cloud "underneath" is essentially the same indexing and searching machinery embedded within some additional management layer. So the delete command works exactly the same - it masks the data as "unreachable". It doesn't change anything else - the data has already been ingested so it counts against your license entitlement.

shivanshu1593
Builder

The delete command essentially works in the same way in Splunk Cloud as it does in an on-prem infrastructure. It won't delete your data from DDAS, but will make it unsearchable.

Thank you,
Shiv
###If you found the answer helpful, kindly consider upvoting/accepting it as the answer as it helps other Splunkers find the solutions to similar issues###
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...

Out of the Box to Up And Running - Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud ...

Tech Talk Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud Environment Register    Out of the Box to Up And Running ...

Splunk Smartness with Brandon Sternfield | Episode 3

Hello and welcome to another episode of "Splunk Smartness," the interview series where we explore the power of ...