Splunk Cloud Platform

How to get Splunk Version for all environment components

SplunkExplorer
Communicator

Hi Splunkers, I must recover Splunk version for all component in a particular environment.
I have not access to all GUI and/or .conf files on all machine, so the idea is to try to recover those info with a Splunk search.

Here: How-to-identify-a-list-of-forwarders-sending-data I got a very useful search that I used and return me a lot of info about Forwarders, all ones: UF, HF and so on.
Due I'm not on a cloud env but an on prem one, I have also to recover Splunk version used on Indexers and Search Heads. So, my question is: how should I change search got on above link to gain version from IDXs and SHs?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

There some ways to get that information. Which one is best depends on your environment.

I suppose that you have MC configured and in use? If not please take it into use and utilise it with this.

With MC you can get this information directly from 

Settings -> MC -> Instances

Other option is use rest query for getting this from all instances, but this needs that those are defined as search peer for node where you are running this. In MC you have done this already

| rest splunk_server=* /services/server/info f=host f=host_fqdn f=version

3rd option is try to get this information from _internal log, but it needs that you have extended it's retention time enough for finding last start messages. By default it's retention is too short for this.

r. Ismo 

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Apart from MC or direct rest calls against your "main" components if you have forwarder monitoring enabled in your MC, you'll see a list of your forwarders which connected to your environment (the inventory is dynamically updated based on the version reported by UF to _internal).

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

There some ways to get that information. Which one is best depends on your environment.

I suppose that you have MC configured and in use? If not please take it into use and utilise it with this.

With MC you can get this information directly from 

Settings -> MC -> Instances

Other option is use rest query for getting this from all instances, but this needs that those are defined as search peer for node where you are running this. In MC you have done this already

| rest splunk_server=* /services/server/info f=host f=host_fqdn f=version

3rd option is try to get this information from _internal log, but it needs that you have extended it's retention time enough for finding last start messages. By default it's retention is too short for this.

r. Ismo 

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...