Security

Splunk web certification configuration

uagraw01
Builder

Hello Splunkers!!

I want to configure SSL certificate in Splunk so that my Splunk web URL communicate over https.

To obtain "privKeyPath" in web.conf I have used below two commands.

splunk cmd openssl genrsa -aes256 -out SplunkPrivateKey.key 2048

splunk cmd openssl rsa -in SplunkPrivateKey.key -out splunk_key.key

To obtain "serverCert" in web.conf I have used below two commands.

splunk cmd openssl x509 -in splunk.cer -out splunk.pem

Note : splunk.cer  is with me ( Provided by organization so I am obtaining self signed certificate)

[settings]
enableSplunkWebSSL = 1
privKeyPath = D:\Splunk\etc\auth\mycert\splunk_key.key
serverCert = D:\Splunk\etc\auth\mycert\splunk.pem

I have used all the above commands and configure the certificate under the paths but still Splunk web is not working securely. Please suggest me any other modification or alteration I need to do ? 

Thanks in advance !!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @uagraw01,

Browsers will not trust your self-signed certificates without additional configuration. In most cases, you'll want to use a certificate signed by a mutually trusted certificate authority. This is not an endorsement of Qualys, but https://www.ssllabs.com/ provides general information on SSL/TLS that you may find beneficial.

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@uagraw01 - As suggested by @tscroggins self-signed certificates needs to be added to certificate store. Here are references to be done on Mac and Windows:

I hope this helps!!! If it does kindly upvote!!!

uagraw01
Builder

@tscroggins @VatsalJagani  Thanks For sharing the refrence links. I am very close to setup the secure SSL connection by using openssl. Once completely done I will share the complete steps here also.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...