Security

Splunk 2fa with Google Authenticator?

daniel333
Builder

All,

Has anyone ever setup Google Authenticator with Splunk for 2fa? Any walk throughs available for Splunk Enterprise 8?

KwonTaeHoon
Path Finder

Hello 

Did you enable Google Authenticator when accessing Splunk?

If you know how, can you share it?

Thank you

0 Karma

sebr12
Engager

Hi daniel333,
I realize that this question was asked quite a while back, but in case this is still an issue for you or anyone else I'll try and answer this question as best I can.
If you already configured your mail settings under Settings -> Server Settings -> Email settings and configured an alert, just as I did and noticed that no mail was sent when the trigger occurred. Then what you could do is run the following search index=_internal source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/python.log" sendemail. This gave me an event stating "Application-specific password required" and referred me to https://support.google.com/mail/?p=InvalidSecondFactor. The link explained who to create an App specific password. This generated password should be pasted in under the mail configuration in your Splunk environment.

The settings I used under splunk was.
Mail host: smtp.gmail.com:587
Email Security: Enable TLS
Username: [my.email@gmail.com]
Password: [The app specific password]

I hope this is of any help to you or anyone else having this issue and if this don't resolve your issue then the SPL query above can still provide valuable information as to where the issue lies.
Best of luck and happy Splunking

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...