Security

SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_CERTIFICATE:no certificate returned

castle1126
Communicator

Trying to configure SplunkLightForwarder with SSL for both encryption and mutual authentication, but no connection is made. On the receiver the connection is failing with the error message: ERROR TcpInputProc - Error encountered for connection from host=10.2.3.4, ip=10.2.3.4. error:140890B2:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_CERTIFICATE:no certificate returned

On the sender side: sslCertPath=$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/cert/sender.pem sslPassword=password sslRootCAPath=$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/cert/root.crt sslVerifyServerCert=true sslCommonNameToCheck=receiver.example.com

On the receiver side: [splunktcp-ssl://12345] disabled = false [SSL] serverCert=$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/cert/reciever.pem password=password RootCA=$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/cert/root.crt dhfile=$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/auth/cert/dhparams.pem requireClientCert=true

Thoughts anyone???

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would suggest a review of the procedure detailed in this tutorial to set up splunk-2-splunk communication using SSL certificates signed by a 3rd party certificate authority.

The troubleshooting section might help you to pinpoint where the issue with your current configuration is.

castle1126
Communicator

No I haven't tried with the Splunk PEMs created during install. These are certs built against our PKI infrastructure here, and check out as valid and correct within our environment.

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Does it work if you specify the default splunk cacert.pem and server.pem? If so, this would indicate a problem with your custom root cert and/or server cert.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...