Security

Issue with Splunk server not starting after configuring TLS

ArgyTheo

Subject: Issue with Splunk server not starting after configuring TLS

Description:

I'm encountering an issue with my Splunk server after configuring TLS. Here's a summary of the steps I've taken:

1. Placed the certificate files (cert.pem, cacert.pem, key.pem) in the directory: /opt/splunk/etc/auth/mycerts/.
    1. Modified the /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/server.conf file with the following configurations:
      ⁠[sslConfig]
      enableSplunkdSSL = true
      sslVersions = tls1.2,tls1.3
      serverCert = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/mycerts/cert.pem
      sslRootCAPath = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/mycerts/cacert.pem
      sslKeysfile = /opt/splunk/etc/auth/mycerts/key.pem

2. After restarting the Splunk server using the command ./splunk restart, the following messages were displayed:
    ⁠Starting splunk server daemon (splunkd)...
    Done 
    Waiting for web server at http://127.0.0.1:8000 to be available....
    WARNING: web interface does not seem to be available!

Additionally, when checking the status with ./splunk status, the result is: splunkd is not running.

Could someone assist me in troubleshooting this issue? I'm unsure why the Splunk server is not starting properly after enabling TLS.

Thank you for your help!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ArgyTheo 

>>> WARNING: web interface does not seem to be available!

1) looks like the 8000 port is not available. pls check if that port is being used by some other processes 

2) check the top command for any Splunk processes that are running 

3) Maybe the old process id still running and binding that port number 8000, if its ok, try to do a system restart itself. 

4) pls check the splunkd.log for more details. 

5) are these certs you self generated or third party generated

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...