Security
Highlighted

Is there a way to grant users the capability to create their own apps, but not give them 'Admin' access?

Motivator

Hi,

I wonder whether someone may be able to help me please.

As an administrator, I am looking to provide functionality for users so they can create their own apps. However, I do not want to give them 'Admin' access.

Could someone tell me please, is there a way that I may be able to do this?

Many thanks and kind regards

Chris

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Is there a way to grant users the capability to create their own apps, but not give them 'Admin' access?

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Im not sure about creating an app and installing it.. But generally you can do this, however, you'll need to add a new role and update the roles and capabilities. Mostly like your best bet would be to look at the admin group as a template, and then remove the capabilities that you dont want to give.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Security/Aboutusersandroles
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Security/Addmanagementaccesstocustomroles

Highlighted

Re: Is there a way to grant users the capability to create their own apps, but not give them 'Admin' access?

Motivator

Hi @esix, many thanks for taking the time to come back to me with this.

Kind Regards

Chris

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@esixsplunk, we had played around with this for another use case and the capability needed was adminall_objects which is almost full admin privileges. Could not find any specific capability for app creation unless we missed something.
@IRHM73
Chris, please do let us know if you find something. Thanks

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Hi @renjith.nair thank you very much for the input.

I will keep you posted should I find anything.

Kind Regards

Chris

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My recommendation is to have whoever is developing the app to develop in their own environment. Once they're ready to pass the code to you, you do a final review to make sure it will work with your splunk environment, and then deploy the app for them. Do not let non-splunk admins deploy applications to your platform 😉 for your own sake.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Motivator

Hi @jkat54, many thanks for the advice.

Kind Regards

Chris

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Do you want that your user role inherite admin role ?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

When creating your uer role if you allow it to inherite admin role then your problem is resolved

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Hi @chimell, thank you for taking the time to come back to me with this.

No I'm not wanting to grant them 'Admin' access.

Many thanks and kind regards

Chris

0 Karma